Animal Care & Control
The City of Thousand Oaks contracts with Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control for animal shelter and related services. The shelter is located at 29525 Agoura Road in Agoura Hills (818) 991-0071. Telephones are answered on a 24/7 basis. The shelter is open seven days a week, except holidays, as follows
• Monday - Thursday, noon to 7:00 p.m.
• Friday-Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Animal Care and Control Services
Animal Control Officers are responsible for enforcing state and local laws pertaining to animals. Shelter staff rescue lost pets and make every effort to reunite animals with their owners. If their homes cannot be found, pet adoption services are provided.
- Officers enforce state and local laws pertaining to animals.
- Reports of inhumane treatment of animals or excessive dog barking are investigated and can be reported by clicking this link.
- When needed and if appropriate, wildlife is relocated.
- Rescue programs answer the special needs of animals during disatsers such as fires and earthquakes.
- Educational programs and animal visitations to rest homes are among the special events provided by shelter staff.
State law requires that all dogs over four months of age be licensed and vaccinated against rabies. Licensing protects your pet! You will be reunited quickly if your dog strays from home and is rescued by shelter staff. All funds collected from dog licensing help defray the cost of the Animal Care and Control program. The cost for annual licenses are:
• $40 for an unaltered dog
• $15 for an altered dog
• $6 for an altered dog owned by a senior
The City of Thousand Oaks dog license tag is a permanent stainless steel tag, valid for the dog's life. New licenses are sold at the Agoura Hills Shelter and at City Hall (Finance Department).
Cats may be licensed through a voluntary program. Fees are $10 for unaltered cats and $5 for altered cats.
For further information regarding Animal Care and Control services, please contact the City's Code Compliance Division at (805) 449-2300, or click here to Request City Assistance on-line.